Best Asparagus risotto. A hearty, warm and satisfying dish. This risotto is deliciously good and simple to make with a slight twist on the traditional method. Best served fresh from the risotto pan but can be reheated if necessary. I hope you enjoy.
Asparagus Risotto with Peas & Corn
A hearty, warm and satisfying dish. This risotto is deliciously good and simple to make with a slight twist on the traditional method. Best served fresh from the risotto pan but can be reheated if necessary. I hope you enjoy.
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 bunch asparagus
- 200 gm frozen peas & corn fresh is better
- 1 cup non-alcoholic beer any beer is fine but I prefer non-alcoholic
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 400 ml plant milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock powder Massel is plant based
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chilli flakes optional
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 pinch Celtic sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Wash and chop asparagus leaving the spears aside with half of the peas & corn.
- In a large non-stick pan, sauté finely chopped onion until soft
- Add asparagus stems, garlic and the remaining peas & corn and sauté for a couple of minutes
- Add the stock powder and 1/3 cup of water and cook until the asparagus is tender. Empty the pan into a blender and blend until smooth consistency.
- Pour the blended vegetables back into the pan over high heat, add the rice and stir until well combined.
- Pour in the non-alcoholic beer, mix well and allow the beer to completely evaporate.
- Add the milk, smoked paprika and salt and pepper, constantly stirring as the rice absorbs all of the liquid.
- Boil some water in the kettle and add small amounts at a time (approx 1/2 cup) to the pan. Stir the rice constantly and continue adding the water until the rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil, add chilli flakes. Once the chilli is sizzling add the peas & corn and asparagus spears, toss for a couple of minutes and set aside.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the lemon juice and half the zest, the cooked peas & corn and the nutritional yeast.
- Stir together and heat for a couple more minutes to cook off remaining liquid.
- Serve hot and top with black pepper, lemon zest and asparagus spears.