Best Ever Scrambled Tofu
"This is without question, the best scrambled eggs I've had since going Vegan". The secret lies in a very special ingredient, Kala Namak (Black Salt) which gives this dish that wonderful egg flavour that is missing from your basic scrambled tofu.
- 400 gm block firm tofu
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Kala Namak (Black salt) increase for a more eggy flavour
- 150 ml plant milk
- 1/2 red capsicum finely chopped
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes quartered optional
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegan butter for frying (Nuttelex)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Drain the tofu and press slightly between paper towels to absorb some of the moisture then place in a bowl and mash with a fork. *Try not to mash it too fine leaving it a little chunky so as to resemble scrambled egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, Dijon, nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, onion and garlic powder, black salt and parsley. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan on medium. Melt vegan butter then add the onions, capsicum and tofu. Fry for a few minutes until it tofu browns lightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and gently stir through until most of the liquid has been absorbed and you reach your desired consistency. (I like mine only slightly moist, so I cook a little longer).
- Serve with a crunchy piece of sourdough toast and cherry tomatoes.
Black salt has a very strong flavour, so if you wish to make this scramble a little more eggy, I suggest increasing the amount of black salt by 1/4 tsp at a time so as not to overpower the other flavours. Fried mushrooms go great with it also. Enjoy!