Pete’s Black Bean Meatless Meatballs
Delicious and nutritious, plant based meatballs which are great as an entree with a dipping sauce or added to your bolognese for spaghetti and meatballs. Make them bigger and you have rissoles or burger patties.
- 1 400gm tin of black beans drained
- 1 med/lge carrot grated
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs can use cornflake crumbs if you're avoiding wheat
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt
- a couple grinds of fresh pepper to taste
- Combine flaxseed and water in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the black beans roughly. (I found a potato masher to work best)
- Add the flaxseed mix, breadcrumbs, basil, carrot, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Mix well together to combine all of the ingredients.
- Shape them into bite-size balls and set aside. (can also be made into larger burger patties)
- Heat oil in a large pan and fry in batches on medium heat until brown all over.
- Drain on some paper towels and serve hot with your favourite dipping sauce.
These go perfectly with my cucumber, mint and dill raita dipping sauce.