For a healthier alternative to creamy pasta dishes you can't go past Hayley's delicious Basil Gnocchi. This dish is quick and simple to make but will have you looking like a star in the kitchen. OK let's get into it.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 packet gnocchi can be switched for chickpeas
- 1 large brown onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped or minced
- 400 gm can of artichokes chopped
- 1 med avocado mashed
- 425 ml coconut cream
- 1 large zucchini or 2 med
- 6 button mushrooms sliced
- 1 med bunch of basil roughly chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- water if needed for sauce
- Bring gnocchi and 1 tbsp of avocado oil to the boil in a medium saucepan of water.
- Simmer as per instructions on the packet. (I normally start doing this halfway through cooking the sauce.
- Heat remaining avocado oil in a large pan and cook onion and garlic until the onion is clear.
- Add chopped artichokes and cook through.
- Add coconut cream and mashed avocado, stirring through until mixed well.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms (along with any other desired vegetables).
- Add basil and oregano towards the end and black pepper.
- Add water if necessary to extend the sauce or more coconut cream for a thicker option
- Add the gnocchi and stir through then serve.
- A good dusting of nutritional yeast will top it off nicely.
- *For chickpea version, add 1 to 2 cups of drained chickpeas; about 1 can or see my notes on chickpea/bean preparation.
Chickpea/Bean preparation It is much cheaper to purchase dried beans and rehydrate them compared to cans, but they will require a little planning ahead! Most beans are best soaked overnight and then rinsed well prior to cooking.