Lentil and Broccoli Detox Soup
This soup is not only delicious but it has a wonderful detoxifying and anti-inflammatory effect.Broccoli contains phytonutrients which which are converted into a powerful antioxidant during digestion which, in turn, has a potent detoxifying effect. Add to this, the incredibly profuse anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits of Turmeric and you have yourself a perfect meal to combat inflammation and certain digestive issues.Add this great tasting soup to your meal rotation to keep you and your family healthy and regular.
- Stick blender
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 heads of broccoli chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2/3 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp Celtic sea salt optional
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 large mild chilli optional
- 10-15 mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 bunch coriander chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- Soak the lentils for around 30 min, then drain and rinse well.
- Chop and prepare all vegetables, herbs, chilli, garlic and ginger.
- In a large pot, fry off onion and garlic for a few minutes (use a small amount of water in place of oil for an oil-free option)
- Add the ginger, chilli and spices and stir through for a couple of minutes.
- Add broccoli, lentils, salt, pepper and stock, bring to the boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes until lentils and broccoli are tender.
- Add the mint, coriander and lemon juice, stir and simmer for another five minutes on low heat.
- Blend the soup with a stick blender until desired consistency.
- Serve hot with a warm sourdough baguette and garnish with parsley or chopped coriander and season with some nutritional yeast.
If you have allergies or dietary restrictions, most ingredients are replaceable with a suitable substitute.