Quinoa Tabbouleh is a delicious and nutritious salad that is easy to prepare and is absolutely bursting with flavour.Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is a great source of protein, 16%, which is higher than most grains such as corn, barley and rice. It is also considered to be a complete protein, which means that it contains all nine essential amino acids and is considered one of the best plant-based protein sources. Combined with fresh herbs, it comes together as a wonderfully versatile and healthy salad option.This salad is great on its own, as a side, or my personal favourite is on a wrap with falafel or some air-fried tofu slices.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch parsley (about the size they sell in fruit shops)
- 1/2 cup spring onions chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint chopped
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes diced finely
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 pinch celtic sea salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- How to cook the perfect quinoa…
- Add the quinoa, water and salt (optional) to a saucepan and bring to the boil
- Lower heat and simmer gently for around 15 min until the water has been absorbed
- Remove from heat, cover and allow it to steam itself for at least another five minutes
- Lightly separate with a fork to ensure the quinoa turns out fluffy and not gluggy
- Refrigerate until quinoa is completely cool.
- Using a large bowl, add chopped parsley, mint, spring onions and tomatoes and combine
- Add the cooled quinoa, pepper and lemon juice, stir gently until well combined
- Serve and enjoy
For extra flavour, the quinoa can be cooked with stock, spices or garlic.