Vichyssoise, or Potato and Leek soup as many of us know it as, is a traditional French dish made from potatoes, leeks, cream and chicken stock. Traditionally served cold but in my opinion is way better hot. This recipe has been nutritionally enhanced with the addition of baby English spinach to make this dish a more well rounded meal, both satisfying and nutritious.
- Stick blender or blender
- 1 tbsp dairy free butter Nuttelex
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 5 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 6 cups vegan chicken stock (Massel brand is plant based)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 leeks sliced (white part only-discard green part)
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 300 gm baby English spinach
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- In a large pot, heat butter over med-high heat and add sliced leeks, garlic, bay leaf and paprika and cook for a couple of minutes until leeks are tender but not browned. Add a couple of tablespoons of stock if leeks are sticking to the pot
- Add diced potatoes, parsley, black pepper and stock. Cover and bring to the boil. Cook for around 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Add spinach and cook for a couple more minutes until wilted.
- Remove from heat and blend with a stick blender until all lumps are gone and the soup has a smooth consistency.
- Place pot back on the heat and add milk, white pepper and nutritional yeast, simmer uncovered for 5 minutes until soup is thick and warm.
- Serve warm with chopped parsley and warm bread or refrigerate and serve cold.